Saturday, April 16, 2011

Time Passing

Eight years ago today, on a day very similar to this cold, wet, spring day, I was in a hospital room awaiting the birth of our son, Ian. He was born early at 32 weeks.

We had excitedly gone to my ultrasound in January to find out if we were having a boy (I knew we were) or a girl. We found out almost immediately, we were having a son! Then the ultrasound tech grew uncomfortably quiet. Almost two year old Katryn, somehow knowingly, hopped down from Eric's lap and held my hand. Eric and I just looked at each other. A doctor came in, looked closely at the ultrasound and explained to us that our sweet baby that was happily kicking in my womb, had Holoprosencephaly (HPE). After much explanation, we were told, he likely would not live much longer. To say my world just stopped, would be an understatement.

Over the next few weeks, Eric and I became literal experts on HPE and quite frankly could have given a medical school discourse on the subject. Acquiring the knowledge only reaffirmed what we had been told. Our time was, in all likelihood, short with Ian.

The previous few days in that April of 2003, I had been full of inexplicable anxiety and a strong desire for more family to be with us, so I asked my mom if she could come out to visit. Her work told her if she took her vacation then, she would not be allowed time when our baby was due to be born. We asked my mother-in-law. She was told the same thing. My dad was working and it would be very difficult for him to get someone to cover his shifts. My father-in-law agreed to come the next day (the 15th). I was feeling a bit foolish about my anxiety and strong desire to have someone else out to help, but he was happy to come. Two hours after his arrival, my water broke. We left Katryn with a bewildered Papa and left to the hospital. :-)

My wonderful doctor, Ranjan Dasgupta, had asked a particularly special nurse to assist us, Ruth Micari. Both Eric and I commented how much Ruth reminded us of his mom, both in looks and demeanor. Such a blessing. Unbeknownst to us at the time and we didn't find out until many months later, the previous year, Ruth had been in labor at the same hospital and had birthed and lost a son, Michael. She was a literal Godsend. All the right words.

I went into labor around 5 pm and sweet Ian Bradford was born after a tightly wrapped cord scare, at 5:40pm, 3lbs 5oz, and 17 inches. Eric and I were blessed to spend the next two hours, holding him and singing to him. Two hours. Too short of course but a precious and literal miracle to be sure.

Although eight years have passed, Ian is in my daily thoughts. I am so grateful to God that Eric and I shared those fleeting moments of Ian's life and that because of His Son's sacrifice and resurrection, our family will be together again someday. I'm forever changed.

A couple of months after Ian's birth, while riding the train alone, this poem and many tears literally poured out of me in just a few minutes.





11 comments:

Angela Halliday said...

Kristin,
Thanks for sharing. I'm touched by your strength. You're in my thoughts and prayers today.
Angela

Kristin said...

Thanks Angela, it really is a day of celebration in our family. Birthday cake and all. :-) Also I don't think the poem was 'clickable' before, I fixed that.

Justin, Christy, and Jordan said...

That is a sweet poem Kristin. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad you will be able to see him again!

Sybil said...

A very dear poem, what sweet thoughts to and from Ian.

Kristin said...

Thank you so much Christy and my dear Auntie RAH :-)

love you so.

Linda said...

beautiful story, although it made me cry. God's hand is everywhere.

Sarah said...

I happened to stumble on your blog and loved its bright and cheery colours, so I read on and found your beautiful poem and it touched my heart.
I lost my husband just over 7 months ago and like you I hold on to God's promises that we will one day reunited as a family.
Thank you for sharing your poem.
with love in Christ
Sarah

buy rift platinum said...

Great! such a lovely poem indeed.=)

lin741852 said...

burberry tasche
chanel tasche
chloe tasche
gucci tasche
sac dolce gabbana
sac fendi
sac guess soldes
sac guess 2012 soldes
sac gucci
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton
tee shirts g star
tee shirts lacoste
tee shirts levis
sac guess
chaussures nike
chaussures puma
sac a main
tee shirts
juicy couture tasche
louis vuitton tasche>
versace tasche
juicy couture bolsas
louis vuitton bolsas
sac louis vuitton>
sac prada
sac versace

kristi said...

this post was sent to me by my very caring Aunt. I know its over a year old and yet I felt moved to post a comment. I am in a situation very much like yours 8 years ago, except mine is still much fresher. March 3rd, 2011 marked the day I had my 3rd son - he lived only a few hours. The pain of leaving the hospital without him tore me apart, but my faith in God kept me from being completely destroyed. The path is long, the road hard, and each day brings new tears. I have not been blessed with children since then and this makes me turn to my other 2 sons with a grateful heart. God bless you this day Kristin and thanks for sharing your poem.

Annie said...

Bracelet louis vuitton
Bracelet Vivienne
Collier chanel
Collier juicy
Collier louis vuitton
Collier Vivienne
Lunettes de soleil
lunettes de soleil armani
Lunettes de soleil chanel
lunettes de soleil dolce gabbana
Lunettes de soleil louis vuitton
lunettes de soleil ray ban
Porte cles chanel
Porte cles louis vuitton
portefeuille louis vuitton
Sac a mains
Sac a main prada
sac burberry
Sac Chanel
Sac Dior
Sac Guess
Sac Louis Vuitton
Sac Accessoires louis vuitton
tee shirts louis vuitton femmes
tee shirts louis vuitton hommes